"I can state, with absolutely no doubt whatsoever, that Annie Finch taught me to discover the music in my own body. I have never encountered again someone so unflinchingly passionate about the art of poetry and so dedicated to its potential. My confidence on the page and my continuing joy in the possibilities of the written line can be traced to the moment I found Annie Finch and said "Teach me to listen." — Patricia Smith, 4-time National Poetry Slam Champion, Winner, National Poetry Series for Blood Dazzler
Annie's private poetry sessions focus on far more than just manuscript consultation. No matter what kind of poems you write—free verse, formal poetry, performance poetry, exploratory poetry, or any combination of these—Annie’s deep knowledge of poetry across aesthetics, centuries, and continents will help reconnect your poems to their nourishing roots. When you work with Annie, you will benefit from her generous and open-hearted attention, her education in poetry (BA in English from Yale magna cum laude, MA in Creative Writing from University of Houston, Ph.D from Stanford University), her thirty years of poetry teaching experience, and also what she describes in the introduction to her comprehensive 750-page poetry handbook A Poet's Craft, as "a lifetime of hearing, memorizing, reciting, reading, imagining, conceiving, dreaming, scribbling, dictating, writing, typing, word-processing, revising, proofreading, publishing, perusing, discussing, parsing, analyzing, criticizing, scanning, editing, teaching, reviewing, and translating poetry."
THERE ARE MANY WAYS TO WORK WITH ANNIE
- Single Poem Consultation Discussion of a single poem up to 2 pages in length. Includes a followup email within 2 weeks, with option to attach one revised draft for a further opinion. More
- Half-Hour Private Poetry Coaching For poets of any level of experience from beginners to international award-winners. Discussion of up to five poems includes roots, themes, formal dynamics (even in free verse), future directions. More
- Hour Private Poetry Coaching For poets of any level of experience from beginners to international award-winners. Discussion of up to ten poems includes roots, themes, formal dynamics (even in free verse), future directions. More
- Complete Manuscript Consultation Includes preparation time, themes, roots, title, order, arrangement, attention to each poem with revision suggestions as needed, marketing, placement, and publication. 90 minutes minimum. More
- Ongoing Mentorship Available in packages of four or ten sessions, includes coaching and consulting for all aspects of your writing life including writing and revision of poetry, nonfiction, fiction, and critical prose; publication, career strategies, literary trajectory, and more. More
This Woman is Worth Her Weight in Gold.
"This Woman is Worth Her Weight in Gold."
She is the Consummate Teacher.
"She is the Consummate Teacher."
Your Exercises and Instruction Were Magical.
"Your Exercises and Instruction Were Magical."
The Class was an Absolute Revelation.
"An Absolute Revelation!"
Annie is a Force of Nature.
"Annie is a Force of Nature."
COMMENTS FROM ANNIE'S PRIVATE STUDENTS
“Annie Finch combines panoramic sight with close-up vision. Following her critique, I’m murmuring to myself, “Right!” “Good idea!” “Now it’s moving!” I testify: she gives beautiful guidance.” —Tamam Khan, Poet
“Annie Finch is the truth when it comes to literary mentors and writing coaches. . . . She knows how to form the right questions to aid you in making a good poem GREAT! She really and truly studies and respects the craft. She’s an amazing human being, as well. So hire her or invest in one of her many books if you want to improve your writing. —Venus Jones, Poet and Performer
“You are an incredible teacher. The semester I worked one-on-one with you was by far the most challenging and also the best one I have ever had.” —Christina Mock, Poet
“Annie opened my eyes to what I previously couldn’t see—you can’t do much better than that. . . she is an excellent teacher, passionate about poetry, responsive to questions.”
Annie Will Have Your Back
Once you have built a mentoring relationship with Annie, you can pick it up anytime for a series or single session, according to your poetry’s needs. Annie’s one-on-one students have included poet, translator, and editor Larissa Shmailo, International Book Award winner Tamam Khan, and National Poetry Award winner (and four-time National Poetry Slam champion) Patricia Smith.